The SPACES Study Day was held at the Manchester School of Architecture on Friday 15th June 2018.
The Theme was ‘Collaboration in the Public Sector’. Throughout the day we explored the relevance and importance of ‘Collaborative Working’ and how it enables all parties involved on a project to efficiently and effectively deliver client outcomes, including value for money.
With other main stage presentations from:
- Cabinet Office Alex Lubbock, Head of Digital Construction, Infrastructure and Projects Authority (IPA) on Collaboration and Infrastructure.
- Bryden Wood Jaimie Johnston, Director and Head of Global Systems on How R&D impacts through platforms across building types
A debate on Learning from Schools – Why building performance matters, was hosted by the CIBSE School Design Group, led by Ann Bodkin, Head of Design Intelligence, Education and Skills Funding Agency, with a panel including Helen Taylor Director of Practice Scott Brownrigg and RIBA Council, Joe Jack Williams, Researcher, Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios and CIBSE School Design Group, Sarah Morris, Interim Director, Property, Commissioning, Communities and Policy, Derbyshire County Council and former President of SCALA and SPACES.
The day was interspersed by workshops:
- Microsoft Teamwork with Microsoft 365, Levente Nagy, Product Marketing Manager for Microsoft 365 Customer Success,
- Haverstock Designing for the Police: collaborative working and PFI, Claire Barton, Partner and Kate McGechan, Senior Architect
- BSI BS11000 – The Collaboration British Standard, Kieran Parkinson
- Faithful+Gould Collaboration of Conservation Buildings, Richard Stocking, Regional Director, Head of Conservation & Heritage
- Faulkner Brown The Word, a case study in collaborative design (winner of last year’s Civic Building of the Year), Steve McIntyre, Partner
- MACE The Grenfell replacement school replaced in nine weeks, James Mangat, Project Manager
- IES Updates on policy and building performance codes; Part L, BB101, BREEAM and more, Dr. Naghman Khan, Business Development Manager
- Atkins, member of the SNC-Lavalin Group Discussion around modular construction, James Bourne, Operations Director
- Rock Townsend Holy Trinity School and Residential project – innovative learning and living solution for the 21st Century city, Mark Gabbey, Partner
- Pick Everard Objective Collaboration – Alliancing Gary Buick, Director and Andrew Almond, Partner,
- Willmott Dixon Manchester University Collaboration Project – A dissection of the approach and relationships between the Client, Design Team and Contractor, Simon Atkinson and Phil Young.