The annual Study Day was held on Friday 23rd June at the Manchester School of Architecture on Delivering Educational SPACES.
The day was opened by the SPACES President, Martin Kent, and our host for the day, Professor Tom Jefferies, Head of Manchester School of Architecture. This was followed by the Keynote Presentation on the Northern Powerhouse and the influence on the Education Sector by Philip Dyer, Director, Northern Powerhouse. As well as a presentation on Digital Tools for Well Being by Dr Caroline Paradise Head of Design Research, Atkins and the Progression Board look at New Technologies. There was a debate on BIM, exploring level 2 BIM’s progress so far (in the real world), how it affects different stakeholders and what, if anything, is needed next, chaired by Les Copeland, Chairman of the CIBSE BIM Group and Director, WSP with the panel consisting of members of the Building Sector including Terry Stocks, Head of Public Sector and Education, Faithful+Gould, Andrew Almond, Partner, Pick Everard, Naghman Khan, Business Development Manager, Integrated Environmental Solutions, Garry Fannon, Head of BIM, Willmott Dixon and Mike Shaw, Head of Design, MACE Group. A summary of the main stage can be downloaded.
The day was interspersed with workshops:
- The development of design quality standards, Ann Bodkin, Head of Design and Specification Team, ESFA
- Lessons learnt from central delivery and the PSBP programmes, Phil Slater and Jackie Lowe, ESFA
- The ESFA Condition Data Collection Programme – What’s we’re doing, and how it’s being delivered, Jake Wood, Condition Data Collection Programme Communications and Engagement lead, ESFA, Colin Mason, CDC Technical lead, ESFA and Phil Beswick, Programme Director, Arcadis (CDC Technical Services Management provider)
- Achieving design quality, Beech Williamson, Architectural Design Adviser, ESFA
- Closing the building performance gap, Andrew Spencer , Engineering Design Adviser, ESFA
- The calibration of environmental design, Richard Daniels, Environmental Engineering Design Adviser, ESFA
- Designing for autism, Helen Peddler, Pedder & Scampton
- School Building Cost Benchmarking – a national study that can bust myths and help you deliver cost effective buildings, Steve Clow, Assistant Director Property and Facilities, Hampshire County Council
- The impact of Technology on Building Surveying and Asset Management part1 Anthony Walker FRICS, Director Trident Building Consultancy and RICS Building Surveying Professional Group Board member
- The impact of Technology on Building Surveying and Asset Management part2 Tom Aburrow-Newman, Public Sector Lead, Kykloud.
- Discussing experiences in school’s design and the trade-off between comfort, energy and classroom performance, Naghman Khan, Business Development Manager and Colin Rees Consultancy Manager, Integrated Environmental Solutions.
- The future of education in the new parliament – an industry perspective, Andrew Alsbury, Willmott Dixon
- Challenges of delivering SEN schools, Andrew Almond, Pick Everard
- Design for Manufacture/LEAN, Mark Worrall, MACE
- Offsite – Lime Tree Primary Academy, Philip Watson, Atkins
Additional information on the speakers can be downloaded here.